Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Upcoming Movie Roundup - October

Last month I actually went and saw a movie I wanted to go and see! The Maze Runner -- and it lived up to it's potential impressively -- click here for my spoiler-free review of it. Now, October.

Look out -- here come ALL THE MOVIES. Not really, but really, there are a lot of new movie this month. Yikes. Which one do you want to see? Which ones have I left out? Which ones should I have not included because they're definitely going to be terrible? Leave a comment -- I need to know these things!


Left Behind
Oct. 3rd (limited); PG-13
I may be the only person in the entire homeschooling Christian community who never read these books. I was never much of a reader as a young person. But even if I had, I don't know if I would be any more interested in this. The RT synopsis makes it sound like just another end-of-the-world/disaster movie like 2012 or The Day After Tomorrow, but then the trailer looks more like one of those "Christian" movies that only Christians will see. Neither bode very well.




Dracula Untold
Oct. 10th; PG-13
Of course I will always want to watch any movie Luke Evans appears in, ever since he made my favorite character from The Hobbit book my favorite of The Hobbit movies as well. I would watch this the exact moment I see it come on TV in a couple years, based on the Luke Evans in a stylized action movie awesomeness, but then there's the vampire thing. There's always something, isn't there?




Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Oct. 10th; PG
This looks cheesy. And silly. And kiddie. And I don't care; I want to see it. Anytime a movie releases that isn't animated, and is rated PG, you have to sit up and pay attention -- this is a dying breed. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a great film, but I fully expect it too be fun, and diverting... and silly and cheesy.




Whiplash
Oct. 10th (limited); R
This month in "Obscure Movies I'm Interested in Because of That One Actor and Wouldn't Be Otherwise" Part 1: "Miles Teller." Okay, and also, this one's getting great reviews as an intense character piece for Teller and J.K. Simmons.




Kill the Messenger
Oct. 10th (limited); R
Jeremy Renner delivers a message, and then is killed, while doing some great acting. That's what I'm assuming happens in this movie. (It's a true story, so I could find out easily, but where's the fun in that?) Does that assumption make me want to see it any less? (Or any more?) Nope. And, honestly, this would be a lot more interesting to me if it were not based on true events...




The Book of Life
Oct. 17th; PG
*Sighhh* I'm sorry, but why am I supposed to be interested in this? I don't know, so I guess I'm not. Here's the trailer anyway. If you want to see this, please tell me why so I can try to understand.




The Best of Me
Oct. 17th; PG-13
The latest in a very long line of Nicholas Sparks adaptations trying to find the same amount of success as The Notebook. This one has more of my attention than usual by having James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan in the cast. Still, chances of the sap being unbearable even for the cast? I'd say 94%. Also, enjoy as they blatantly steal from The Fault in Our Stars at the beginning of this trailer. (For the record, I agree with Shakespeare.)




Rudderless
Oct. 17th (limited); R
"Obscure Movies I'm Interested in Because of That One Actor and Wouldn't Be Otherwise" Part 2: "Anton Yelchin." Really, though, this looks pretty great. Just ignore Selena Gomez's face there....




Young Ones
Oct. 17th (limited); R
"Obscure Movies I'm Interested in Because of That One Actor and Wouldn't Be Otherwise" Part 3: "Nicholas Hoult." And fine, there's Elle Fanning too. And Michael Shannon. And seriously, this sci-fi/western style is pretty intriguing!




St. Vincent
Oct. 24th (limited); PG-13
Last, but absolutely, in no way least. Mark my words people: This one. This movie will be the best of the month. Bill Murray is an old grump in an upbeat, pop indie. How could this possibly go wrong? At the very worst it'll just be a vehicle for Murray to crack a bunch of jokes which will undoubtedly be funny, because when is Bill Murray ever not funny? I rest my case. Watch this trailer:



12 comments:

  1. October isn't going to be a very good movie month for me then! I'm refusing to see Left Behind on the grounds that Tim La Haye is homophobic (he's called homosexuals "vile" in the past, yeah that's some real Christian love right there). I don't like Nicholas Sparks movies although The Notebook is a guilty pleasure. As for the others... meh. But you have got me interested in The Maze Runner! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... maybe something will surprise. :) Hmm, I would have to know the context of that quote before I made a judgment, but it certainly doesn't sound like a very helpful thing to say. Me either, I didn't even like The Notebook, though it was probably the best one I've seen. :P Oh, that's good! I hope you enjoy if you get into it! The books are good too. :D

      Delete
  2. Now, I am actually interested to see how Left Behind turns out. I have not heard anything about it until now, and I am curious about what the reviews will say about the movie. As for everything else, I will just have to check out the reviews and watch anything that's good at the Redbox rentals. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm definitely curious to see how it's received, though I'm not really interested in seeing it for myself. That sounds like a good plan, I'll probably be doing something similar. None of these look good enough the spend ticket money on right now.

      Delete
  3. Kind of curious about Jeremy's new movie (though I know nothing about it ;D) and definitely the new Nicholas Sparks. Cliché or not, I love a good romance. ;) Have the book so I need to read it, then I can see the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yeah, for some reason the fact that he's in it is enough to make it as interesting as it needs to be... :D Ah, yes. I must say, this is probably the most interested I've ever been in a Sparks movie. I hope you enjoy, Rissi! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for highlighting Young Ones; I've added it to my watch-list as it looks quite good!!!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on it too. It's very intriguing. :)

      Delete
  5. I did read the ´Left Behind´ books in my time and watched the first adaptation, the ´Christian´ one. It looks like this one is definitely more filled with action and disaster. I´m curious to see what they will make of it and especially it´s message, but I don´t think I´ll watch it myself.

    Rudderless looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'd forgotten there's already been a adaptation. This one does look very disaster-y. I'm with you on that too!

      It does, doesn't it? I'm definitely hoping it turns out good! Usually I steer clear of R-rated movies, but this one is only for language, so if it's mild enough I'd love to see it! :)

      Delete
  6. I"m pretty much hoping I can see "The Judge" and that's about all I'm interested in this month. That's okay -- got LOTS of other stuff going on this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, The Judge. The trailer for that looked boring to me, but I hope it turns out good for you! I know, one interesting movie a month can be enough even when I'm not busy! :P

      Delete