Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

R.I.P. Underappreciated MCU Characters

This list is of dead characters of Marvel movies and TV shows, so obviously, there are spoilers within -- Spoilers for Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Ant-Man. (Since Ant-Man is a new movie, and least likely to have been watched by some, I put that entry eighth and last.)

They didn't die saving the world, or even destroying it; they just died in the crossfire. Here are some of the best Marvel Cinematic Universe characters who died thankless deaths, afterthought deaths, or just plain died too soon:

Antoine Triplett
Played by B.J. Britt
In Agents of SHIELD
Agent Triplett showed up on AOS at the halfway point in the first season -- and was gone at the halfway point of the second. Besides his turning into stone and then crumbling away being overshadowed by Skye and Raina turning into Inhumans, Triplett's death is sad because he was a lighthearted character that had easy and fun chemistry with the other agents -- especially Skye -- and it seems a waste to kill of a descendant of a Howling Commando with so little pomp and circumstance.



Roger Dooley
Played by Shea Whigham
In Agent Carter 
Chief Dooley's death was built up to be a sucker punch, but wound up being underwhelming as everyone else hardly stopped for a breath before moving quickly on to their saving the world duties, and I even forgot that he had died at all. It was just poor timing on his part.



James Wesley 
Played by Toby Leonard Moore
In Marvel's Daredevil
"We don't say his name." Wesley is the faithful servant of Wilson Fisk; mysterious and well-characterized, even as a side character. I would have happily watched him stay by Fisk's side as long as Fisk ruled Hell's Kitchen, but, sadly, he underestimated Karen way too much, and it got him a few unfortunate holes in his chest. Wesley is a prime example of a character dying too soon, but, to his credit, his death is what pushed him over the edge of being an interesting character, to being a great and memorable character, and a favorite of mine.



Jasper Sitwell
Played by Maximiliano Hernandez
In Thor, The Avengers, Agents of SHIELD and Captain America: The Winter Solider
Agent Sitwell is a particularly sad case, because after being around and assisting Coulson ever since Thor, and even starring in a Marvel One-Shot, he suddenly is revealed to be a Hydra agent in The Winter Solider. After being kicked off a building by Black Widow and saved by Falcon as a humorous interrogation technique, he is unceremoniously pulled out the window of a speeding car. Just goes to show you what happens when you join Hydra... but at least two more heads grow in his place.



The Other
Played by Alexis Denisof
In The Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy
The strange bluish guy who speaks for Thanos and has two thumbs on each hand seemed to be pretty powerful guy in The Avengers while he was threatening Loki. Not many people can do that so confidently and get away with it. So maybe his death was a long time coming, but I admit that when Ronan breaks his neck without a second thought in Guardians, I was much more sad and disappointed than I was supposed to be.



Pietro Maximoff
Played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson
In Avengers: Age of Ultron
He certainly wins most heroic death of the bunch for saving Hawkeye and a little boy, but Pietro's death was way too soon for me after he was a bad guy for most of his one film. I suppose it is the best way around his being so overpowered, but I and Wanda will miss him dearly. (Any chance of his coming back somehow?)



J.A.R.V.I.S
Played by Paul Bettany
In Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, The Avengers, and Avengers: Age of Ultron
He appeared in the most Marvel films before his death, and yes, I know that Vision effectively is JARVIS, but technically, he is not. The computer program JARVIS is no more, evidenced by Tony using a program called FRIDAY at the end of Ultron. Sadness of this this is dispersed fairly well though, because Vision not only sounds like Paul Bettany, but he looks like him too. Still, a moment of silence for everyone's favorite snarky computer should be in order.



Anthony
Played by an ant/CGI
In Ant-Man
The flying ant who serves as Scott's miniature ride hardly even gets his name before he's shot out of the air by a bullet meant for his rider. There is short pause in the action to commemorate his untimely demise, and we are left confident that Scott feels as sad over his death as we do, but once things move on, we're not supposed to look back. But we will never forget you, Anthony!



R.I.P

Which of these characters will/do you miss? And did I overlook anyone? With these types of characters it certainly is an easy thing to do!

6 comments:

  1. James Westley totally died too soon. He was an awesome character. For some reason I feel like Daredevil season one is really about the tragedy of Wilson Fisk, a man who
    just wanted to help the place he grew up in, found his true love, and was betrayed by his partners for being to soft. It might just be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! He's definitely my favorite character on this list, and very awesome. I definitely saw that in this season, but I guess the great thing about how deep and complex the show is, is that you can take a lot of different things out of it, depending on how you look at it. :)

      Delete
  2. I was pretty sad about Tripp, but more concerned about Mack surviving, to be honest. I never really connected with Tripp, but I really like Mack a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now I don't really miss him what with Mack and Hunter taking his place in their different ways. And now their both way more developed than he was then. But still, in the moment I was very surprised at his sudden death. :P

      Delete
  3. I agree about Triplett, he was such a nice character and balanced out the seriousness, also his being a Howling Commando descendant is plain cool.

    How did I not notice his thumbs?!

    The Vision is cool, but I'm going to miss Jarvis.

    Anthony... :'( *bawls*

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I was surprised to see him go because of all that... but then again I was surprised about Ward too, so I guess I just can't predict that show very well. ;)

      Haha, I don't know, I mean, he does stick his hand on a wall in an obvious attempt to show it off!

      Agreed.

      I know!! My brother and I actually came up with this list because of Anthony. (Or is it Antony?)

      Delete