Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Upcoming Movie Roundup - August

July was downright boring. I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home. And that's it. And it was fine. And that's it. (Read my review here.) And I got really bored and frustrated of this year's movie selection and am on the verge of going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood even though I don't care for Tarantino movies typically.

But August. August looks good. August looks like it might begin turning 2019 around. It's going to need more than one solid hit with me in order to do that in the span of 31 days, and that it just... might... have. (Or maybe it's just wishful thinking and some super solid trailers.) Now let's see if I'll even go see more than one in the span of 31 days!

What looks good to you this month? Did I leave anything out?




Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
In theaters August 2nd; PG-13
Is that really its title? Why can't it just be Hobbs & Shaw?? Someday I'll be in the mood for dumb, ridiculous, over-the-top buddy-cop action. And when that day comes I'm sure this will be just the ticket. But I've never been much for the F&F franchise and even within that neither Hobbs nor Shaw ever had much impact as characters. When I do see this, I will be most excited to see Vanessa Kirby. Then Idris Elba. And THEN The Rock and Jason Statham.




Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
In theaters August 9th; PG-13
Goosebumps for kids grown up? It is based on a series of books after all, which inspires confidence that it could be more than a throwaway creepy summer flick, but it is also compiling all the stories into one film it seems? Which could cheapen it. This is one I probably won't be watching unless it gets great reviews.




The Peanut Butter Falcon
Limited release on August 9th; PG-13
Shia LaBeouf goes on a road-trip to help a runaway with Downs become a wrestler. With Dakota Johnson. Yep. This could easily turn into one of my favorite movies of the year if it plays its cards right -- like it seems to be. The feeling I get watching that trailer is the same the trailer for The Way Way Back gave me, and that's one of my all-time favorite films. It looks so pure and sweet and full of adventure and to be about uplifting things like love and friendship -- how could it not be appealing?




Blinded by the Light
In theaters August 14th; PG-13
Continuing the trend of apparently pure films with uplifting messages comes this movies about a Pakistani-British teen who falls in love with the music of Bruce Springsteen in 1987. I LOVE this trailer, and what the movies seems to be saying about the universality of music (and within that, art in general and the way it can connect beyond culture lines) -- especially great American rock from the 80s, haha! I hope it's sappy and wears its heart on its sleeve. The sappier the better.




Where'd You Go, Bernadette
In theaters August 16th; PG-13
Richard Linklater's latest is based on a novel, and stars Cate Blanchett. It has all the earmarks of something that should be good, but I'm stuck. I can't get over the hurdle of "Cate Blanchett Plays a Normal Person." Don't get me wrong she's one of my favorite actresses. It's just hard for me to buy her as an every-woman, even done up with plain clothes and hair -- she's still exceptional. It's weird. I'll still keep an eye on this for later.




Ready or Not
Limited release August 21st; R
A stylish-looking horror comedy in which Margot Robbie's doppelganger (Samara Weaving) is the new bride of a member of a uber-rich family who have a tradition in which they kill all new brides as some kind of bizarre ritual sacrifice. A killer game of hide and seek in a wedding dress! With in-laws from hell! Also with Adam Brody who is great. I get a feeling I'm going to like this one.
(This is a red-band trailer that contains violence and language.)




Brittany Runs a Marathon
Limited release August 23rd; R
This looks like a cute comedy/rom-com. It's nice to see a movie where the character's physical improvement isn't all about just being more attractive. Here it's about being healthy, and valuing yourself and you life. I'm not sure it can be a great film on that great idea alone, (it should still be funny and honest and put together in a quality, entertaining way) but it is off to a good start.




2 comments:

  1. I'm quite excited for The Peanut Butter Falcon; Blinded by the Light; Where'd You Go, Bernadette; and especially Brittany Runs a Marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Hopefully they all turn out well too!

      Delete