Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

Upcoming Movie Roundup - January

Happy New Year everyone! In December I went to see Rogue One (check out my review here) and that was it, in spite of the number of interesting movies. Turns out December was even more busy than I expected it to be what with Christmas... and my sister getting married!

I saw Rogue One again yesterday, and its enjoy-ability factor at least doubled for the second viewing! So now La La Land is at the top of my must-see list, and it looks like I'll have plenty of time for it in January, because there is not even one new movie coming out that I'm even remotely interested in seeing. January isn't known for being a month full of quality movies, but come on, you could at least get my hopes up with an interesting premise or good trailer and then dash them later...

So instead I'm going to talk about some TV shows premiering this month! Something I usually forget to do, what with all the movies distracting me, and there is a handful of them in Jan.

Are you interested in any of the movies coming out in January? Is there any I've missed? And are any of these shows on your radar? Let me know in the comments!


Sherlock - Series 4
Well the first episode of the new season aired last night, and I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed. Don't shoot me! I may try to review it and pinpoint why I'm not liking it as much as the early seasons, but that doesn't change that I will be watching the next three episodes like clockwork every Sunday night. It is still Sherlock, after all! It's airing on PBS here in the US, and streaming on their website.




Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Back in the day I remember enjoying the film version with Jim Carrey enough that it led me to read several of the books too, which were, unsurprisingly, better than the movie. Now Netflix has begun a series, that, as best as I can tell, will be adapting the entire series (of 13 books) with two episodes per book. Season one will be 8 episodes, available on Jan 13th. This is, in my opinion, the ideal way to adapt this story to the screen, and I'm very excited to see it! (Even though I'm now a little older than the target demographic...) Neil Patrick Harris stars as Count Olaf, and Patrick Warburton narrates as Lemony Snicket. Hilarity and misfortune will undoubtedly follow!




Emerald City
Probably the most re-imagined story next to Cinderella, and now NBC is taking a turn with an Oz story, with a 10-episode series airing starting Jan 6th. This one reminds me a lot of Tin Man which I absolutely loved (and last I checked is still available on Netflix...) except this one looks grittier and more steampunk and hopefully will have its own neat spin on the well-known story! Vincent D'Onofrio is the only face I recognize, as the Wizard. I don't know if it'll turn out to be a good telling or not, but I definitely think it's worth finding out!




Taboo
An 8-episode series from Ridley Scott and Tom Hardy coming to FX. The show also stars Tom Hardy, is set in the 1800's, and looks extremely dark, gritty, and serious. I won't be surprised if it winds up being too inappropriate for me to bother with anyway, but as it is, in spite of Hardy, it's not super-appealing to me in the first place. Still, it looks like a high-quality show. Begins airing Jan 10th.




Sneaky Pete
Another that I'm not eager to watch, but it looks like a neat and probably fun show, with it's main character being a con man. This one is coming to Amazon Prime of Jan 16th. It stars Giovanni Ribisi, and Bryan Cranston as one of those villains that you just know was a blast to play. I'll definitely bee keeping an eye on reviews and ratings for this one.


6 comments:

  1. I agree - movie releases look pretty disappointing this month. Tabboo might be the show I'm most interested in seeing for Hardy. Emerald City looks awesome! Hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I started doing this there was at least one interesting release per month for me... this is weird! Eager to check out Emerald City though. Happy new year to you too! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with your non-impressed-but-it's-still-Sherlock view on 6 Thatchers. It felt a lot less Sherlock-y to me and had a lot more action than usual, probs because it was centered around Mary. I havne't heard of Tin Man before, i'll look it up. :) Happy 2017 Sarah! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one... yeah, there wasn't enough cool mystery solving in my opinion, and just too much drama that seemed forced. :/ I hope you can find it, it's a fun series! Happy 2017 to you!

      Delete
  3. I was really disappointed with The Six Thatchers and I'm now feeling rather apprehensive about the rest of this series :(

    January's going to be a pretty good month for me in terms of movie watching. I'm seeing The Eagle Huntress tomorrow (a documentary narrated by Daisy Ridley), I'll be seeing La La Land on my birthday, and I still need to see A Monster Calls. And if I have the time I'd also quite like to see the movie Lion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, though I'm really trying to not be... :/ There's always a chance it could improve again.

      Yeah, even though there's no interesting new releases for me, there's still plenty to watch. I'm very excited to see La La Land! I hope you enjoy all! And happy birthday! :)

      Delete